It’s been a while since I put up a recipe and this is one that’s extremely close to my heart.. and my tummy! My earliest memories of Sunday mornings as a child are those of either a hearty Gujarati breakfast, or waffles made by Mom. Nothing still manages to bring a big smile to my face and warmth in my heart like two of her best bakes – her apple pie and waffles. Now she’s incorporated apples and cinnamon into her waffles making this the greatest breakfast dish EVER!
150 gms maida
1/4 tsp baking powder
50 gms butter
1 tsp powdered sugar
1/2 tin condensed milk
200 ml milk
4 drops vanilla essence
1 tbsp apple juice*
1 cup grated apples
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- Sieve maida, baking powder and cinnamon powder together.
- Knead butter and sugar together.
- Add the condensed milk to the butter sugar mix.
- Add the dry ingredients to the above mix.
- Add the grated apple, juice and essence. Let this lie at room temperature for a good 30 mins.
- Pour a cup of the mix into the waffle maker and allow it to cook for 4-5 minutes. Alternatively take a look at the instructions on your waffle maker since no two makers are the same. However this should be your call eventually so don’t forget to pay attention!
Quick Tip: *Grate the apples and let it lie aside for a while. They will begin to get runny in a while. Use the same fresh juice and nothing else, especially store bought.