Achari Aloo (baby potatoes tempered with spices) is a must at every dinner party at our house. It’s pretty quick to make and is an absolute favourite with all our guests. Essentially a spicy dish, that can be controlled depending on your palate.
P.S – Will be hard to stop at just one 🙂
This recipe serves 6-8.
2 packets baby potatoes (boiled in salted water with skin)
4 dried red chillies (kashmiri mirch)
8 cloves garlic
1 tsp coriander seeds
1” piece of ginger
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp dried fenugreek leaves
3 tsp tomato ketchup
50 gm cream
4 tbsp oil
Salt to taste
1. Combine the red chillies, garlic, coriander seeds and ginger in a pan and sauté in oil (2 tbsp) for about 3-4 minutes or until the ingredients go soft.
2. Using a blender, blend until the above mix turns into a fine paste.
3. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a deep pan and sauté the fenugreek and bay leaves for 1 minute. Add the potatoes. Sauté for another 2 minutes.
4. Add the paste and stir properly for about 5 minutes. Make sure the potatoes are thoroughly coated in the paste. Do not stir too hard otherwise you will end up mashing your potatoes.
5. Take off the heat and let them cool. Add the cream and mix well before serving. Serve hot (mild).
1. Do not boil the potatoes to the point where they begin to mash. Check by sticking a fork into them.
2. In case you have any extra paste left, this can be stored in the freezer for a fortnight.